Resources to assist in your own research for your family’s history

Database of Japanese American Evacuees 

This is where I’ve found my father and grandparents’ records on their imprisonment and location. Simply type in the name of your family members (remember to check maiden names and Japanese first names) and likely you will find their official WRA record. 

Order Copies of Japanese American Internment Records

Order official copies of internment case files, deportation documents and reparation files.


An ever-growing trove of photos, videos and encyclopedic information on the camps. 

Beautifully-written books by novelists, scholars and historians on systemic racism in America 

When the Emperor Was Divine 

A novel recounting one family’s experience in the incarceration. Sad and beautiful, the title tells you a lot. 


A time traveling novel that weaves between a Black woman’s modern day and the Antebellum south.

Borderlands/ La Frontera: The New Mestiza

This book is kind of an art piece within itself. She writes about what it means to be mixed race – Mexican and European and Indian – living on the border between the U.S. and Mexico.

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness

A timely deep-dive into the prison industrial complex and how it operates to keep Black and brown peoples’ freedoms limited.


A theoretical crash course in how “Eastern” cultures and people became fetishized and “othered” through a European lens. 




%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close